Chamber Ensemble Piano Quartet (Piano Quartet)
Composed by Johannes Brahms (1833-1897). Edited by Hanspeter Krellmann. Sheet Music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. Urtext edition-paper bound. Classical. Single piece and set of performance parts (softcover). With introductory text, performance notes, bowings and fingerings. 88 pages. G. Henle #HN285. Published by G. Henle (HL.51480285).
Item Number: HL.51480285
ISBN 9790201802855. 9x12 inches.
Brahms' Third Piano Quartet stands out for the extremely involved and complex history of its genesis. A very first version of certain sections – still in C# minor – had been written in 1855/56, but neither the composer nor his friends were genuinely happy with this version. In 1869 Brahms reprised his work, but still found no satisfying solution. It was not until 1874/75 that he brought the final version to paper, replacing the two movements of the original version with new ones. While the “tragic” key of C minor points to the truly dark, passionate character of the work, the composer actually singled out the mood of suffering of the quartet himself in several letters.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)