Chamber Ensemble Mixed Ensemble (Violin, Horn (or Viola or Violoncello) and Piano)
Piano, Violin, and Horn (with viola or cello instead of horn). Composed by Johannes Brahms (1833-1897). Edited by Katharina Loose-Einfalt. Arranged by Klaus Schilde. Sheet Music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. With horn parts in Eb and F; with parts for the alternative versions (viola or cello instead of horn). Classical. Score and Parts. 120 pages. G. Henle #HN811. Published by G. Henle (HL.51480811).
Item Number: HL.51480811
ISBN 9790201808116. 9.25x12 inches.
This trio's unusual scoring for horn, violin and piano prompted speculation early on about a possible background to it that had no connection with music. Brahms's biographer Max Kalbeck saw in it a lament for the composer's mother, recently deceased, to whom hehad supposedly played folk songs on the horn in his childhood. There is no doubt that Brahms loved the sound of the natural horn, and bestowed several of his most inspired melodies on the instrument. Horn players justifiably adore this Trio op. 40, and this Henle Urtext edition now offers an optimal basis for studying and performing this masterpiece. This edition follows the musical text of the New Brahms Complete Edition and thus guarantees the greatest fidelity to the sources and reflects the current state of research. The pianist Klaus Schilde has added helpful fingerings to the piano part. Extra parts are also provided for the alternative scoring authorised by Brahms (with viola or cello instead of horn).
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)