Solo voices, choir, orchestra (2 Soprano Voice Solo, Alto Voice Solo, SATB Choir, Trumpet, Ob, 2 Violins, Viola, Continuo (Cello, double bass, Organ))
Composed by Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741). Edited by Caroline Ritchie and Malcolm Bruno. This edition: urtext edition. Stapled. Barenreiter Urtext. Score. RV 589. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA07674. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA07674).
Item Number: BA.BA07674
ISBN 9790006538843. 31 x 24.3 cm inches. Language: Latin, Text Language: Latin. Preface: Malcolm Bruno/Caroline Ritchie.
Today theGloriaRV 589 (BA 7674) is one of Vivaldi's best-known compositions and one of the most frequently performed sacred vocal works from the Baroque period. Vivaldi wrote theGloriaas a self-contained work in the style of a concertante mass. However, it was probably also performed within church services. The scoring of the solo voices (SSA) suggests that the work was written during his period at the Ospedale della Pieta, around 1716. In the twelve movements of theGloria, Vivaldi displays the whole range of his mastery from festive, sublime outer movements to tender, transparently scored solo passages.
The same mastery has also been applied to theKyrieRV 587 (BA 8950), scored for two choirs and two groups of stringed instruments. The date of its composition remains unclear. It is a purely a choral work without solo passages.
Both works can be performed independently but can also be combined as a kind of short mass. Although the authenticity of the autograph manuscript score is beyond doubt, these new editions contain some re-evaluations in phrasing and performance practice which go beyond what other editions have to offer. The piano reductions are straightforward, clearly presented and preserve the character of the works.
- Attractive choral pieces which can be combined to form a short mass
- Vocal score as well as choral score available for theGloria
- Informative foreword (Ger/Eng)
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding