Singing voice, Mixed choir-SATB, piano, harmonium (Soprano Voice Solo, Alto Voice Solo, Tenor Voice Solo, Bass Voice Solo, SATB Choir , 2 piano, Harmm) - Level 3
Composed by Gioachino Rossini (1792-1868). Edited by Philip Gossett and Patricia B. Brauner. This edition: urtext edition. Paperback. Score. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA10501. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA10501).
Item Number: BA.BA10501
ISBN 9790006539550. 31 x 24.3 cm inches. Language: Latin, Text Language: Latin. Preface: Patricia B. Brauner/Philip Gossett.
The"Petite Messe solennelle"is the finest work of Rossini's late years. He composed it between 1863 and 1864 at the age of 71 as a commission for Countess Louise Pillet -Will for the consecration of her private chapel, where the work received its first performance in March 1864. Together with the"Stabat mater", the mass is one of the composer's most important sacred works.
The unusual instrumentation with two pianos and harmonium is entirely in keeping with the Neapolitan keyboard tradition of the 18 th century which was cultivated in France in Rossini's day. It forms a distinct contrast to the style of large-scale sacred compositions as written by, for example, Liszt and Bruckner. Rossini explained that he wrote the later orchestral version of the work dating from 1867 out of concern that if he did not do this, other composers might orchestrate the mass too heavily in later arrangements.
The piano reduction by Andreas Kohs is extremely idiomatic and largely preserves the charming character of the unusual instrumentation.
- Based on the Urtext of the series"Works of Gioachino Rossini"
- Foreword in two languages (Eng/Ger)
- With a separate harmonium part and one part for pianos I and II
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding